Comments

We have replaced this Comments section with a Forum

Your comments are still here but you can no longer add to them.

You can still comment on photographs and news items

All comments are the views of the author, and NOT of the Disabled Ramblers.

41 Responses to Comments

1. Elwyn Davies on 29/11/2012 at 15:54

Hi all
    from sunny Wales
    RE:vehicle to transport Tramper;Super Sport and most other
    Scooters or Wheelchairs will go easily into a Renault Kangoo
    and as I have, a hoist can be fitted.

Great website carry on with the good work.

Elwyn

• andrea on 15/01/2013 at 13:51

Hello..what is the best hoist to fit in Kangoo for Super Sport or Tramper please..Do I need a ramp..as most seem too narrow to reverse down..and then there is manoevering from the Scooter out to drivers seat..So hoist best? Many thanks Andrea

• Shirley on 17/01/2013 at 15:13

Reading the daily mail today (17/01/13) there’s an article/ad stating ‘new this year is an all-terrain mobility scooter that goes at the usual speeds on the road but has a 15mph switch for use on private land. This Ferrari of the mob scooter world has extra power & suspension, soils able to take any kerb in its rugged stride, not to mention plough its way through snow when necessary!
      Having googled I can’t find any further info on this – anyone any ideas who/what it’s made by? It sounds interesting!

• nigel robinson on 06/02/2013 at 11:57

the scooter is a harizon mayan and the extra speed is a option

2. Celia on 18/10/2012 at 08:20

This site is getting better and better. I love it. I’m particularly thrilled to see the photos from the archives. I see so many people with their cameras and have always felt frustrated that we don’t get to see the results. Brilliant.

3. Carl on 03/10/2012 at 17:48

Hi,

This all looks great fun but do you ever organise any rambles suited to people who want the exercise and the scenery?

I’m a paraplegic and would love to be out and about but actually want to keep fit to so would rather push.

I note your logo shows a wheelchair user and some trees but none of the photo’s in the gallery reflect this?

• John Cuthbertson
      John on 09/10/2012 at 09:07

Hi Carl,

We are putting together the programme for 2013 at the moment and it will have rambles suitable for wheelchairs. In the past we have found that after a while our wheelchair users have used our loan scooters and then have bought their own.

John

• Carl on 27/10/2012 at 14:48

Hi John,

Thanks, and I look forward to next years program.

I can see the appeal of being out in the woods in areas where you would struggle to push a manual chair, but I’m determined to remain as fit, independent and mobile as possible having only been injured 3 years ago.

If you have anyone else on your books who’s interested, or knows of any accessible tracks in buckinghamshire I’d be keen to here more.

Many thanks,

Carl

4. Irene chaloner on 01/10/2012 at 10:13

Can anyone suggest a suitable off road chair for someone who is 25 stone! and disabled – I desperatly want to get out and about but dont know where to start! could also do with a helper or group to join

• John O'Connor on 03/10/2012 at 22:34

I would look at the Mini Crosser. There is a ‘Rambler’ version that will take your weight and, if you really need it, a super powerful version – HD Max. Here’s a link:

Hope you find this useful and I wish you happy rambling.

5. Jim & Dorothy Mills on 21/09/2012 at 11:38

We are getting a little more experienced at using our laptop & must congratulate John for all the work he has done to make it so easy to use. It is great to see that more members are using it for a source of info on all aspects of rambling with scooters but we are particularly grateful that reports/photos of our own rambles are so quick to appear! We have greatly enjoyed looking back at many of the rambles we attended & seen so many familiar faces. Must see if I can dig out some of our old photos to add to the library!

6. Helena edwards on 13/07/2012 at 19:32

I am taking my scooter to Fordingbridge/Sandy Balls in the New Forest on monday (July 16th) for a few days. Can anyone suggest a ramble nearby please? I take a Shoprider Cadiz off road but it won’t do Tramper type work.

• John Cuthbertson
      John on 13/07/2012 at 21:42

Hi Helena, It’s difficult to give suggestions as I don’t know what conditions are like at the moment after all the rain. Hopefully someone local will come forth with ideas.

You might try the disused railway line running east – west through Setthorns campsite. This is about 2 miles long giving a 4 mile ramble. There is easy access at the campsite if they are happy for you to park there.

See Google Maps: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=208719200199333019587.0004c4bbe5a3154140cf8&msa=0&ll=50.800334,-1.627672&spn=0.005994,0.013797

We are running some rambles in the forest later this year, perhaps you might like to come along. There might be a loan Tramper still available (but this would need checking). Please see the Rambles programme for details.

John

7. John Greves on 11/07/2012 at 11:24

National Trust …. Access to Cissbury Ring
    NT Area Ranger has kindly agreed to provide RADAR Padlocks on the vehicle gates next to their tight kissing gates …. but his locksmith has refused to supply him with keys …. !!
    If he is unable to get keys locally I have offered to give him a supply FOC (&VAT)
    They have a problem with motor bikes and are reluctant to enlarge k-gates for scooters …. hence the Padlock option.
    If this is successful perhaps a formal DR letter of thanks to NT Access at Swindon HQ might be in order

• John Cuthbertson
      John on 11/07/2012 at 23:05

Well done John; let us know how you get on.

John

• John O'Connor on 18/07/2012 at 12:24

On a slightly different note, the National Trust now have a Tramper for disabled visitors to use at Tarn Hows, here in the Lake District. Details here:

And, there’s more. The Lake District National Park Authority are going install a number of ‘disabled friendly’ catches on five gates around Coniston for us to try locally. If they work, they will provide over 25 miles of ‘scooterable’ trails around the area.

Happy Rambling!

• John O'Connor on 03/10/2012 at 22:36

Update: The Lake District National Park have now installed the first of these gate catches. A few more are due to be installed around the Coniston area.

Will keep you updated.

‘Happy Rambling’.

8. John Greves on 11/07/2012 at 10:14

Many thanks for setting up the website ….

Tramper and a new Accessible Vehicle are way beyond my budget ….
    Some of the mass-produced Class 3 scooters are surprisingly agile but the centre of gravity is often too close to the rear axle with interesting results ….!
    Ex Mobility WAV’s generally low mileage and cheap …. mine will take a Tramper but the third seat seat is small and the suspension makes travelling on the scooter seat an “uplifting” experience …. suspect tie-downs not fully certified for heavy scooters.
    Regards John

9. Tony Dickens on 02/07/2012 at 11:52

Our new website has only been up and running for a few weeks but it is wonderful to see the interaction it has generated. This aspect adds so much value to the information available to those that visit the site and shows Disabled Ramblers to be a vibrant and attractive organisation. The speed at which the site is updated with latest news and pictures is hugely impressive.

So a big thank you is due to our webmaster John for giving Disabled Ramblers such valuable asset. Well done!

• John Cuthbertson
      John on 02/07/2012 at 11:54

Thanks Tony,
      Looking forward to the Northern Tour next week. Let’s hope for some nice weather!
      John

10. Jim & Dorothy Mills on 20/06/2012 at 06:33

We’re not computer people so have only just discovered your wonderful website. What a great job in setting up such an informative & interesting one. We haven’t looked at it all yet so must get back to it ! Huge thanks to John for all he has done to make our rambling days so enjoyable. Try not to do it all yourself though!!!

11. Shirley on 11/05/2012 at 14:53

I too love the new look website! well done.

would like to start a discussion about Trampers/other suitable scooters and finding a vehicle suitable for transporting! I know several members are struggling (like me) to find a medium size MPV with space for another seat in rear + Tramper.

can anyone reccomend the TGA supersport as being equal to a Tramper??

• John Cuthbertson
      John on 11/05/2012 at 20:43

I know the two Dorothys love the Supersport. It seems to go everywhere the rambles take us. It has a far better turning circle.

On the other-hand, the Tramper offers better protection from the elements in the front and storage space for the wine! It is slightly narrower which is why one of the members changed her Supersport for a Tramper to fit in her motorhome.

The Supersport also needs three tracks to go along – important on a two-plank bridge! However, on organised rambles this would be taken into account.

Beamer, who make the Tramper, now offer a three-wheel version imaginatively called the TWS (three wheeled scooter). It was this which was used together with the Supersport on Top Gear.

Liz & I were recently looking for a vehicle to transport the Tramper in. To get one with a seat in the rear would have meant a medium sized van. We settled for a Vauxhall Combo. If a third passenger had to travel with us, they would sit on the Tramper. The Combo has a little more space in the rear than the usual Berlingo etc. which we need as Liz has to have her seat pushed right back (in fact, we had the runners moved even further back). And space is needed for the Bull-bars on the front and step on the back of her Tramper. Also, it has a Diesel engine with Automatic gearbox – a rare find. We are very happy with the Combo.

• Shirley on 11/05/2012 at 22:10

thanks John. On the website Ive found, the Vauxhall Combo is too short to get the Tramper to fit in it!
        ( http://www.jubileemobility.co.uk ). I have found it a complete nightmare looking for a small/medium vehicle and getting reliable advice from salespeople!
        shirley

• John Cuthbertson
          John on 12/05/2012 at 08:50

Space might depend on the converter and the year. Ours was done by http://www.gowringsmobility.co.uk/ It’s a 2010 reg.

• Shirley on 13/05/2012 at 20:57

Spooky John, I went to a roadshow at Hyde Hall last month and Gowrings were there. The vehicle they tried to sell me had space for a family of 10 to live!
            Ive just contacted Alliedmobility after getting their magazine and it looks like several of their vehicles will manage to get a Tramper in. They seem to be nationwide, so once I find their ‘local’ dealer I shall zippy along and take a look
            thanks for all the help,
            shirley

• John O'Connor on 13/05/2012 at 16:08

Yes, I agree – a fantastic new website and a lot of work has gone into it.

I have just found another that will be very helpful as I am taking my scooter to the Lake District in September – it is extremely helpful for people like us who like to ramble.

Happy rambling.

• John Cuthbertson
        John on 13/05/2012 at 19:20

Thanks John, Yes it looks very useful in general as well as for Lakeland rambles. I’ve added them to the Links page.

• David Cook on 20/05/2012 at 12:46

Yes, I too have found this website. It’s a shame the Lake District is so far away but I will still make my views about Disabled Rambling and hope somebody listens to the problems we encounter with gates.

I hope we get more of these websites to encourage local groups to form and go out and ramble together – I just love being out in the countryside on my scooter.

Best wishes to all.

• John O'Connor on 17/07/2012 at 12:39

The Lake District National Park are looking at the problem of latches. Their Access Officer hopes to replace a number of ‘awkward’ latches around Coniston with a much more ‘disabled friendly’ type.

When this is done, I will post further to let you know what they are like.

Happy Rambling.

• Shirley on 21/05/2012 at 16:04

another great website, wish I lived near the Lake District! they mention the different types of scooter but not much comment/feedback on them.
        shirley

• Abby Ashby on 20/05/2012 at 11:58

My feelings about 3-wheelers and rambling are not compatible, because I have seen the problems of overturned scooters on rutted and banked tracks. But, TGA have announced their Breeze Max version – should be worth a look.

I have been testing a couple of Mini Crossers and have been more than impressed with their cross country ability. Also, more acceptable than the Tramper in City Centres.

I have also found a nice new website for disabled rambling information:

That’s where I found the contact for the Mini Crosser.

Happy Rambling.

• Shirley on 23/05/2012 at 20:23

the mini crossers look good- dont know if anyone in DR uses one, pwerhaps if they do they’d give us their impressions.
        shirley

• John O'Connor on 17/07/2012 at 12:35

I have always found 3 wheelers like the TGA Supersport, which I have rambled on many times, to be more unstable than a 4 wheeler, particularly because of the problem with ‘ruts’. On a trail where there are ruts, the single front wheel can’t always ride the rut properly, it will try and wander from the crown between the ruts causing instability.

I would always choose a 4 wheeler like my Mini Crosser.

Best wishes for Happy Rambling.

• Shirley on 08/10/2012 at 23:17

Hallo,
      Just an update on my quest to find a vehicle to take a tramper + one seat in the back. Well, I’ve found it! Months and months of trying, and not done without Linda & peters help ( thanks guys). A fiat doblo auto will do the job, it’s not attractive but will have a winch and an electric ramp. Also thanks to John c for his input.
      Only one slight snag – it’s a 5 month wait!
      Shirley

• andrea on 26/01/2013 at 15:14

Which converter did your Doblo? I am told by many that is is too short for the TRAMPER TO FIT..

• shirley on 26/01/2013 at 17:14

I havent bought it Andrea! Atlas Conversions at Waterlooville (nr Portsmouth) were going to do it for me, but after 4 months with nothing happening Ive given up with them and cant reccomend them!!
          I went with Linda & Peter and their Trampers to Atlas last Sept. Linda had no trouble whatsoever getting the Tramper in and out (and that was with a small seat in the rear as well!!)
          Im utterly disappointed with Atlas, and havent felt like finding another converter. BUT the Tramper definitely went into the Doblo easy peasy!! (back me up Linda!)

• Eileen on 04/02/2013 at 11:05

It may be worth contacting Wilson Healy Conversions – a long way from you in Southport but some years ago they did a WAV conversion on the Kangoo that the Tramper goes in up the ramp. (3rd seat has to be taken out but can be put back when a smaller wheelchair or scooter is used. They are currently working on conversions on the Doblo but not sure if they have one with rear access. They made alterations to the secondhand WAV Kangoo I bought from Manchester Wheelchair Cars to allow me to remove the backseat easily. it turned out the car was one of their conversions. The guy at Manchester Wheelchair Cars is very clued up on getting Trampers into small cars – so he is worth a call.
            Good luck.

• shirley on 04/02/2013 at 13:46

thanks Eileen. I have emailed wh conversions for advice. wheelchair cars goes straight to brotherwood (who dont do the doblo).
            I emailed Allied and Gowrings last week to see if they could supply (as they both have Doblo’s advertised on their website, but neither of them have bothered to reply! In this financial climate you’d have thought they’d be biting your hand off for the business, but apparently not.

12. Linda Rivers on 11/05/2012 at 13:33

Fab new web site – well done. Great to see so many photos. Love the members rambles section, great idea.

A couple of suggestions:

1) How about including the full Rambles Programme in the members area? I am always loosing my paper one. Plus it could save on postage costs perhaps? I have asked for an electronic version in the past but it has never been forthcoming.

2) The DR Friendship Contact List that I am compiling. How about a note about it? Would you be willing? I only include people I have contacted personally to ensure they are willing to be included.

3) A useful link is http://www.walkswithwheelchairs.com. I myself have posted routes on this web site in the past.

Keep up the brilliantly good work

Linda

13. John Cuthbertson
    John on 24/04/2012 at 11:25

Yesterday Liz & I explored a ramble form Martley (Worcestershire) to the River Teme. A grade 3 of 3 miles partly circular ramble, we had a splendid time.

Donate